Monday, March 8, 2010

Getting To Know Your Dinner

(Becky)

For the past few years, my husband and I have purchased our meat through Chestnut Farms in Hardwick, Ma. You can check out more about them by clicking on the link over on the right of this page actually! It has been one of the most rewarding things that we've ever done.

Once a month I go up to their farm and pick up my monthly share. Rich and Kim always invite you to walk through their barn with them, to pet the animals and are more than happy to answer any questions you have. We've seen just born animals so many times, we've been able to hold newborn sheep and baby chicks. We've watched a calf stand for the first time. The animals here don't get pumped full of antibiotics and unnatural ingredients. They all eat the diet that nature intended. Babies stay with their mommies as long as possible. The cows are grass fed their whole lives with a hay supplement in winter.

The taste is exceptional! As Aimee mentioned in her previous post, it is much leaner beef though and overcooking it is common. Trust me, I have overcooked grass fed steak SO many times. I celebrated this past fall when I cooked a steak correctly for the first time ever. In addition to the beef, we also get chicken and pork in our share. They do have a lamb option, but neither my husband or I like lamb so we skip that. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to become more aware of what they're eating and supporting our local farmers, please check out Chestnut Farms and your local meat farms. There are more out there than people are aware of. There are two in Ellington, CT alone that sell grass fed beef. We chose Chestnut Farms because, even though it's a little bit of a drive for us, it's also one stop shopping - we get beef, chicken and pork. We're thrilled to support this wonderful family, and keep our freezer full with the highest quality meat I could ask for. It IS worth every penny as you do really get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment